Discover Cork | UCC & Blarney Castle2 min read

Shakey Bridge

2 weeks after I visited my friend in London, she came to visit me in Cork! (I couldn’t get away from her..) It was her first time ever in Ireland so I knew I had to impress her!

I collected her from Cork airport and as I had class that day, I decided to bring her along and give her the UCC experience! I showed her all around the campus and she was quite impressed with how pretty it is.

UCC

Obviously I had to bring her to the Shakey Bridge – it was rated as one of the top things to do in Cork City..

Shakey BridgeRiver Lee

The next touristy thing on the list was Blarney Castle. Even though it’s not that far from where I live, I had never been before! I was definitely playing tourist in my own city.

Blarney Castle

Blarney Castle

It may have taken us twice to get to the top because of Alexandra’s “fear of heights” but that smile will tell you how happy I was to have finally made it haha! (It really doesn’t take that long to get up there and it isn’t that high, but be warned that the steps up are very narrow and steep.)

At the top of Blarney Castle

We took some pictures at the top, you know, to show everyone that we made it and that we were there..

At the top of Blarney CastleAt the top of Blarney CastleViews from Blarney CastleViews from Blarney Castle  Views from Blarney Castle

And of course we fell for the tourist trap and had to kiss the Blarney Stone! For those of you who have no idea what this is: it is a stone you pay to kiss “to gain the gift of eloquence” or the gift of the gab as we call it. It is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Cork.

Kissing the Blarney Stone

After Blarney Castle we visited the Chocolate Factory. Looking back I have no idea why I didn’t buy some chocolate. I really regret that decision as I would love some right now..

Blarney Chocolate Factory

We ended our evening with a bite to eat and a few cocktails in Brick Lane!

Cocktails at Brick Lane

There were so many more things I would have liked to shown Alexandra in Cork but there just wasn’t enough time! I’ve already started making a list for the next time she comes here so if there’s anything you think should be on it, please comment below!

Thanks for reading,

Ali xx

22 Comments

1. Laura Rike
    March 27, 2017

The place is beautiful and majestic! I would love to visit the place! <3

2. Carol ("Mimi")
    March 27, 2017

What a beautiful place! I definitely want to get to Ireland someday. My sister did genealogical research and found that our great-great-grandfather emigrated to the U.S. from Dublin. Must be the reason I’ve always loved Irish music!

3. jessica
    March 27, 2017

wow, the castle looks stunning and the green is so green. amazing!

4. Kristina
    March 28, 2017

What a fun travel day of exploring! I LOVE your coat, where did you get it?!
    I too don’t understand how you didn’t get any chocolate 🙂 Always get the sweet treat, right 😉

1. Ali Bourke
      March 29, 2017

Thank you! I got it in Bershka x

5. Rachel
    March 28, 2017

What a fun time! I’ve always wanted to visit the Blarney Stone!

6. SABRINA
    March 28, 2017

Such an awesome location! I want to visit!

Sabrina | Gypsy Tan

7. Kayla
    March 28, 2017

Ireland is too gorgeous! I was in Dublin for a couple of days in November ( a weekend trip while studying abroad in Paris ) & I absolutely loved it. Was pretty bummed out I didn’t have the time to visit Cork or the Blarney Castle – as a blogger you know how important eloquence can be! 😉

xx, Kayla // thesummerlover.com

1. Ali Bourke
      March 29, 2017

Oh nice! Next time you’ll have to come to Cork then!

8. Kayla
    March 28, 2017

xx, Kayla

9. Alexandra
    March 29, 2017

How DID you go to a chocolate factory and not buy chocolate? That’s other-worldly willpower, girl! Beautiful pictures.

1. Ali Bourke
      March 29, 2017

Yeah to be honest I have no idea.. I must not have been feeling well haha

10. Razena | Tantalisemytastebuds.com
    March 29, 2017

I’ve never been to Ireland but it is on my bucket list. It is so beautiful and verdant.

11. valerie Hansen
    March 29, 2017

I am dying to see Ireland, this castle looks amazing, thanks for sharing your pics!

Valerie

12. Rosey
    March 29, 2017

Wow! This castles are gorgeous! I also like to play tourist in my own home town 🙂

13. Lisa
    March 29, 2017

Wow, I’ve never been to Ireland but have always dreamed of going. Someday, hopefully!

14. How much fun! While I’ve been to Ireland before, I’ve never made it to Cork. I’ll definitely have to make a day trip if I’m ever in Ireland again!

15. Tina
    March 30, 2017

Love your pictures! I really want to do a roadtrip through Ireland one day – the countryside and towns just seem so beautiful and full of old charm!

16. Portia
    March 30, 2017

Amazing, I love Ireland but I have never visited Cork, will have to add it to my list xx

17. Megan
    March 31, 2017

Ali this is so great! I am in Chicago but we are heading to Ireland in a few months, so this will all definitely be on my list (we are doing a road trip through Southern Ireland and Cork is one of the stops, but we are staying in Kinsale! I will NOT miss out on getting chocolate 🙂 Let me know if you ever have questions about Chicago if you make it over here!

Megan

18. Kathy Brown
    March 31, 2017

I love old place’s just like you have blogged about here. LoOKs so amazing and beautiful. Great pictures make me feel like it’s somewhere I’ve already been.

19. Claire Chambers
    April 1, 2017

Ireland is so pretty, particularly Cork. Your pictures are great.